Friday, March 25, 2011

The Testimony of Two Nations

I was thinking recently about the importance of the Book of Mormon in our religion. Without it we wouldn't have our popular nickname, and we would also be no different than any other Christian religion in the world today. The Book of Mormon is evidence that God speaks to prophets today; that he has called a prophet, and that the church of Christ has been restored to its fulness. I've heard many people say that the Bible is the only word of God and that we don't need more scripture. I was saddened when I heard these opinions. Why would anyone not receive more of God's word with open arms? Granted we believe that the Bible contains the fulness of the gospel of Jesus Christ, but why not have more examples of that gospel to draw strength and encouragement? A passage from the Book of Mormon reads:
8Wherefore murmur ye, because that ye shall receive more of my word? Know ye not that the testimony of two nations is a witness unto you that I am God, that I remember one nation like unto another? Wherefore, I speak the same words unto one nation like unto another. And when the two nations shall run together the testimony of the two nations shall run together also.
 9And I do this that I may prove unto many that I am the same yesterday, today, and forever; and that I speak forth my words according to mine own pleasure. And because that I have spoken one word ye need not suppose that I cannot speak another; for my work is not yet finished; neither shall it be until the end of man, neither from that time henceforth and forever.
 10Wherefore, because that ye have a Bible ye need not suppose that it contains all my words; neither bneed ye suppose that I have not caused more to be written.
 11For I command all men, both in the east and in the west, and in the north, and in the south, and in the islands of the sea, that they shall write the words which I speak unto them; for out of the books which shall be written I will judge the world, every man according to their works, according to that which is written.
 12For behold, I shall speak unto the Jews and they shall write it; and I shall also speak unto the Nephites and they shall write it; and I shall also speak unto the other tribes of the house of Israel, which I have led away, and they shall write it; and I shall also speak unto all nations of the earth and they shall write it. 
The Book of Mormon does not stand to replace the Bible, but to support it, just as the New Testament doesn't replace the Old Testament, but testifies of its truth. We hold the Book of Mormon and the Bible together as witnesses of the divinity of Christ and his mission, and as guides to lead to happiness in this life and in the life to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment