Thursday, February 3, 2011

Why I'm a Missionary

God called his apostles and prophets in ancient times to go and spread his gospel, and this is a sacred responsibility that continues to this day. The scriptures repeat that God is the same, and that his ways don't change. If this is to be true it would only make sense that this tradition of preaching his word around the Earth would continue. I have left my home for two years so that I may spread the joy I have felt through knowing my Heavenly Father, and his son, Jesus Christ. This message is for all, and the sharing of this message is the best thing that I can be doing in my life right now. I have seen the change that the gospel of Jesus Christ can have in people, and it motivates me everyday to get up and hopefully inspire people to follow their Savior, Jesus Christ.

In a talk by Elder L. Tom Perry he quotes:

"'Jesus saith to Simon Peter, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me more than these? He saith unto him, Yea, Lord; thou knowest that I love thee. He saith unto him, Feed my lambs.' (John 21:15.)
Then the question a second and third time. And finally, Peter, being grieved, replied to the Lord, 'Thou knowest all things; thou knowest that I love thee. Jesus saith unto him, Feed my sheep.' (John 21:17.)
Finally Peter understood: 'when thou art converted'—a condition carries with it a responsibility to do something with that conversion, to feed the sheep of the Savior. The real value of our commitment through our conversion is when it is interpreted into action, when something results from that which has occurred from knowing the Lord."

Missionary work is a outward expression of a individual's love for God, and their love for their fellow man. I want to show my love for my Lord and Savior, and so I serve as a missionary.

No comments:

Post a Comment